Wednesday, September 5, 2007

The Worst is Over - Now for the Bad Stuff

Where we are now

She came through the surgery just fine. The neurosurgeon said that it went very well. She was doing so well that they were able to take her off the ventilator before she left the operating room.

Now she is in ICU where I spent the night with her. She is still very groggy and probably won't remember anything of the night. She and I both got a two maybe three hours of sleep. I'm forever indebted to the nurse tech who located a recliner chair for me and hauled it to her room.

They kick all family out of ICU at 7 AM and 7 PM for shift change so I am home getting charged back up for another day in ICU.

Yesterday

Yesterday was a long day. The surgery didn't start when we thought it would. And then it took a little longer than expected. My brother-in-law, Drew, drove down from Charlotte, NC, and stayed the whole time with me. A friend from church, Chip, brought us lunch and a dear friend of Trudie's, Jeannie, brought us dinner. We are very grateful for everyone who have pitched in and helped us.

She was finally wheeled into ICU about 9:15 PM. She rested pretty well last night.

Where do we go from here

The Bad Stuff is the painful rehab that is coming. She has a chest tube now and that hurts every time that have to shift her. And to prevent bed sores or pneumonia they have to shift her every couple of hours.

We know that there is even more painful rehab to come. Please be in prayer for Trudie's endurance through it.

We're not sure how long she will be in ICU. The doctors had not been in to see her when I left. The doctors originally talked of a day or two stay in ICU.

The "rules" for ICU are that only immediate family members are allowed to visit and then only two at a time can be in the ICU room with her.

Since they request all cell phones be off in the unit, we will be unreachable while I'm in there. You can leave me a voice mail on my cell phone (you know the number) and I'll call you back later.

Thank you all for your prayers and support. I'll let you know news as I find it out.

P}

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Thanks for the update Patrick! We'll keep praying. Let me know when you have an idea when she might get out of ICU. Valerie