Saturday, November 17, 2007

ICU Again - Day 3

Almost Completely Off the Ventilator

Today, they scaled way back the support that the ventilator is giving her. Between the 10 AM and Noon visits they had stopped her sedative and stopped the machine from pumping. She was breathing on her own completely and she was awake. She couldn't communicate because she had this big hose down her throat. But she could make gestures. At one point, I said something smart-ass (yes me) and she indicated to me that I was still number one by pointing one finger up at me. Isn't that sweet?

But not quite yet ready

Tomorrow morning they are going to try again and most bets are that they will be confident enough in her breathing and coughing ability to take the tube completely out. She is slowly getting stronger.

I'm very tired. I spent a good deal of the day at the hospital. She was SO glad to see me and be able to gesture with me. I was excited to have her back again. So tonight I am really ready to get some good sleep.

Giant Cudos to Brother-in-Law Drew! He has spent the majority of most of the days since and during the Wednesday surgery at the hospital. He has been a real trooper. He has been a great blessing to Trudie and I. Thanks Drew!

2 comments:

Paul said...

Patrick, I just wanted you to know that we are praying and you are loved and missed. You are doing an incredible job with your support of Trudie, keeping so many plates spinning, and taking this one day at a time. Thank you for being so faithful in keeping up the posts as well. You probably have not had time to notice, but the leaves are beautiful outside. God cares greatly for you both, and so de we.

patrckb said...

Paul,

It is only through the strength of our Lord that I'm able to continue. He gives me the energy, outlook, and courage to face each day, one day at a time.

Patrick