Monday, September 10, 2007

How Are YOU Doing?

How is Patrick?

I've been asked recently by friends, "Patrick, how are YOU doing?"

I can say that I feel like I'm a part of this battle too. I have to make sure I have energy to encourage her and be her support while she struggles with this whole thing.

Taking care of Patrick

I think the main thing that I have to watch out for is H.A.L.T. - Hungary - Angry - Lonely - Tired. The first three are usually not a problem for me now. The challenge for me is the "tired." I have to be especially vigilant and ensure I get enough rest.

I also have to watch out also not to be overwhelmed by this battle. I occasionally do things I want to do. For example, yesterday I went to Stone Mountain Park for the Yellow Daisy Festival. I saw a number of our craft show friends and I wanted to personally thank the show promoters for graciously allowing us to withdraw from the show at the last minute without prejudice. I had fun.

The other thing I have to do to keep up myself is to make sure I get my exercise. I haven't been to my gym in a couple of weeks, but Shari (the dog) and I have had much quality time walking through the park together. I can really tell that it helps.

Asking for help

Probably the hardest thing for me in this whole battle is in asking for help. I know, I know, I know. A lot of you really want to help. And we are very grateful for it. I've had so many offers of food that I've had to ask a member of our small group to be the meal coordinator. I have made myself ask for assistance in getting things done. And when I've asked for help the response has been very touching and always extremely gracious. But it's this silly thing that I have called pride. Pride is a hard thing to keep from becoming predominant in me. I have to tell myself "people WANT for me to ask" for their help. One friend said that I've got to "let the body of Christ be the body." I do it but it's not easy.

1 comment:

Tim Hanley said...

Great thoughts, Patrick. Our pride always gets in the way of God's grace in our lives. Glad to hear you are seeking to take care of yourself. Keep asking for help. You will need it. This is a marathon. You and Trudie and the Lord are in it for the long haul. We love you, both. Wish we could be there, but we are praying!
Tim
1 Cor 15:57-58